San Diego, CA, July 11, 2015. WICR Waterproofing & Decking’s founder and CEO, Fred Wanke, was honored to join other members of the Community Associations Institute (CAI) San Diego Chapter to work a full shift at Feeding America San Diego. The Feeding America network is the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization. The San Diego center currently serves 59,000 children, families and seniors in need each week.
Each day, thousands of pounds of donated food must be checked for freshness, sorted, packaged and distributed to food banks and families. WICR Waterproofing & Decking was proud to be part of the volunteer shift, and looks forward to donating more time and resources to this effort.
Facts About Hunger in San Diego
- 435,560 people in San Diego County are food insecure (14% of total population).
- 161,680 children in San Diego County are food insecure.
- 67% of children at risk of hunger in San Diego County are eligible for federal nutrition programs (free or reduced-price school lunch or breakfast).
- 53,354 children in San Diego County are not eligible for federal nutrition programs, making this segment reliant upon a charitable response to hunger.
- The average cost of a meal in San Diego County is $3.17, higher than the national average of $2.79.
- The annual meal gap for San Diego County is more than 77 million meals
For more information, please visit http://www.feedingamericasd.org